Tuesday, March 13, 2012

OUR FAMILY IS ABOUT TO GET A LITTLE BIGGER

Our family will be a little larger next month. DH has ordered 24 day old chicks, 12 Rhode Island Reds and 12 Barred Rock hens. I have really missed having chickens and the fresh eggs they gave us. We will have some for ourselves and hopefully will be able to sell a few to neighbors. I don't know of anyone who doesn't like free run fresh eggs. We are trying to grow/raise most of food right here on our farm. I will be posting pictures when they arrive. The weather has been great here lately. I went out to our Quilters' Guild meeting today and didn't even need a coat. I don't ever remember not needing a coat in March up here in Canada. It was kind of nice actually.
Rhode Island Reds and Barred Rocks

4 comments:

  1. Good for you Janet, as you know I love my chickens, I am happy to read you are raising a flock. I say no new chicks for me this spring, but never say never!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been waiting for the chicks to come into the hardware store in town. I want to take Abbey and Lucy to see them, Lucy will go crazy! I remember always helping Grandma weigh the eggs when I was a little girl. Such good memories. Have fun!!! Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I ever had so much fun as when we had our chickens, turkeys, and ducks. Well...let me say the eggs were awesome but they all became such pets that the neighbor had to come to kill the turkeys when they got too big...I couldn't even eat them. Must say though...think they were pre-seasoned because they ate all of the green onions out of the garden...and much more!! :)

    ReplyDelete