Monday, August 6, 2012

A FINE TRIP TO NEW YORK

I just returned late last night from a weekend trip to Syracuse, New York. I was there judging a horse show and what a great show it was, so many wonderful horses. The other three judges I worked with were great and so was the ring steward and show committee. That helps a lot when you are trying to judge so many horses in so many classes over two days. The weather was so hot. On Saturday with the humidity factored in, it was 106 degrees, and Sunday was almost as hot, but very windy and we had a couple of showers go through in the morning.
On my way to Syracuse, I made a couple of stops. There is a little Quilt shop in Caledonia, NY. called the "Chestnut Bay Quilt Shoppe" that I stop at whenever I visit New York state, and last year, compliments of my GPS taking me into Caledonia the back way, I came across a little Primitive shop called "Primitive Country Gifts" www.primitivecountrygifts.com in the little hamlet of Mumford. I definitely had to stop there again. I was in all my glory last year when I found this shop. It consists of two floors in a historic building filled to the brim with wonderful primitive goods, lots of them hand made. The wares are displayed beautifully and there is coffee and samplings of different jellies etc. that they sell. When you walk into the store, the shopkeeper gives you a warm welcome and lets you know there is fresh coffee on and to help yourself. As you browse the shop, there is so much to see...........Antiques, candles, braided rugs, handmade primitive dolls, prim magazines, primitive greeting cards, wool and patterns for penny rugs etc. (I even saw some of Karen's patterns, KM Primitives for sale there). With the permission of the shopkeeper, I took a few pictures of the shop. If you are ever in Western New York, please visit this shop. You won't be disappointed. I found myself a wonderful granite wear bowl at a great price and a few other goodies.
The shop from the outside

Barn stars, wreaths, coverlets, lamp shades

Lots of baskets, curtains, and flicker lights

Fresh complimentary coffee and samplings

I call this the "Crow Corner" Lots of crow items for crow collectors

Lots of dough bowls, candles and lamps

A great selection of braided rugs

Colonial lamps and furniture

Cards and magazines

The shop from the outside

A great selection of wool and patterns


Signs and homespuns


7 comments:

  1. My kind of shop, Janet! Wish I could have joined you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a great shop Janet. Glad you had a good trip.

    Enjoy your day~Becky

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, I would go wild in that shop, ha ha:) So many nice items. If ever near that area, I will be sure to stop in there. Thanks for sharing this with us all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A wee bit of heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Finally we here in Maine are getting a reprieve from the heat and humidity. I really have no right to complain as I have been floating in the lake for the last ten days! What a wonderful primitive shop you have discovered, very inviting. Did you come home with any crow themed items? I spied The Simple Life magazine, this magazine has become my favorite, a primitive lover's bible... Greetings from Maine, Julie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did home with a Simple Life magazine and Mercantile Gatherings magazine. I subscribe to APP.
      I got a graniteware piece and some of their pasta sauces and a new flicker candle. No crow items this time.
      Janet

      Delete