Friday, April 20, 2012

CHICKS HAVE ARRIVED

This morning DH and I went to our local Feed Mill and picked up our 24 day old chicks that we ordered. So far all are doing well. I have heard that sometimes a few don't make it, but I am hoping all of ours will. They are keeping warm under the heat lamp and are running around and eating well. They are so sweet. I am already attached to them. By late summer, we will have a sign out at the road reading "Brown Eggs for Sale". It has been about three years since I have had chickens. We only have chickens for eggs. I can't eat anything that I have raised, named, and made friends with. The last batch of chickens I had, one of the hens lived to be around 12 years old.
Rhode Island Reds and Plymouth Rocks

4 comments:

  1. Awwwwww....they are ADORABLE!!! I love fuzzy widdle chicks! But I so agree - I just couldn't eat something I raised. :o Good luck with the brood!! Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our 8 Rhode Island Red pullets arrive on May 16th. I didn't want any roosters so we ordered pullets instead of day olds. My husband spent the day cleaning out our chicken coop and I have to go in there and do the 'real' cleaning now in anticipation of their arrival.

    Good luck with your brood and I hope they all do well and give you many eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, does this take me back to my childhood! I used to love to set out in the coop and hold the baby chicks each spring. Enjoy, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! You know how much I adore my girls,but really 12 years? I do hope my Gladys lives a long healthy life. 24 peeps, that is a lot of names you have to come up with, may I suggest Gladys!! Hugs, Julie.

    ReplyDelete