Sunday, June 5, 2011

TRIP TO NEW YORK STATE

I returned home around 10:30 am this morning. I was judging a horse show in Fonda New York, not far from Albany New York. A great show with some great horses to judge. The fairgrounds were nestled at the bottom of a mountain and they told me they were the Catskill mountains. Just gorgeous! I pulled out of my hotel at 3 am this morning and stopped at Dunkin Donuts and grabbed a large black coffee and got onto the New York thruway. I wanted to get home in good time to avoid traffic, and also I miss DH and all our critters when I'm away. As I was driving down the  NY thruway, I started thinking.......what if I get a flat tire? What if I break down? I was wondering what the heck I was doing out here at this time in the morning. Then I thought.....DEER! I must have had about 20 encounters with the critters as dawn approached. At one time I had to come to a complete stop, as there was one just standing in the road in front of me. I am just thankful that there wasn't very much traffic. I left home on Friday and had a nice drive to Fonda. I stopped at my favorite Quilt Shop in Caledonia, New York called the Chestnut Bay Quilt shop and of course I had to buy some Civil War fat quarters. Just up the road in a little historic hamlet called Mumford, I came across a lovely Primitive shop and of course I had to stop and check it out. It was called Primitive Country Gifts and if you are ever in the area, you should check it out. It is in an old 1840's General Store with two floors filled with wonderful goods from antiques, home furnishings, textiles, lighting, and anything primitive you can ever imagine. They sold all kinds of great prim magazines, Mercantile Gatherings, A Primitive Place, and A Simple Life. There was fresh brewed coffee and samplings of homemade jellies and other wonderful preserves. The store smelled wonderful and you were greeted by friendly staff members. Just walking around looking at the great things they had was a great experience. I will definitely stop in there again when I return to New York state. So the weather here is beautiful today, so we are thinking of cutting hay, then hopefully starting to plant the garden.
New York state.
The Catskill Mountains in New York state.
I came across lots of these critters on my journey home!

3 comments:

  1. Wow Janet, that's an event filled trip. It's good you enjoyed yourself and without incident, especially deer incident. The shoppes sound wonderful.
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Janet~

    You must be tired after that long drive. Those shops sound heavenly. The deer are so beautiful. Too bad they don't stay off the road. Glad you had a nice safe trip.

    Hugs~Becky

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Janet,
    That part of NY is so beautiful. I miss it. The shops sounded great. Glad you have a safe trip. I remember all the deer.
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete