Wednesday, June 1, 2011

TIS THE SEASON

RHUBARB SCONES
Tis the season.............Rhubarb season that is. After a busy weekend judging in Nova Scotia, which by the way is just gorgeous out there, I was glad to get home and do some baking. While out there, I had to have seafood chowder every day. I just love it. This morning I thought I would make some rhubarb scones seeing I have so much rhubarb and we just love the stuff. These scones turned out awesome and they are healthy too. The recipe made 8 scones and DH told me that 5 on a plate would look much more interesting than 8 for the picture to put on my Blog, so need I say any more :) I will post the recipe in case anyone would like to try to make a batch.

  1 - 1/2 cups all purpose flour 
  1 cup whole wheat flour 
  1/3 cup sugar 
  2 - 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  1/2 tsp. baking soda
  1/2 tsp. salt
  1/2 tsp cinnamon
  1/2 cup milk  
  1/2 cup plain yogurt (I used lemon yogurt) 
  1 egg 
  2 stalks rhubarb, cut into cubes 
DIRECTIONS:

(1) Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
(2) Preheat oven to 400°F.
(3) In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt, cinnamon.
(4) In small bowl mix milk,yogurt and egg. Drizzle over dry ingredients stirring with fork to make a dough (dough will be wet and sticky).
(5) Knead in the rhubarb. Stir with stiff spoon or use your fingers.
(6) Form a ball with dough, place on baking sheet, pat down into circle about 8 inches wide and cut into 8 triangles or cut individual rounds with your biscuit cutter to 1/2 inch thick.
Bake in center of oven for 15-25 minutes. Test with toothpick before removing from oven. If top is getting brown but inside is still sticky, cover top with foil while cooking a few minutes more until done. Let cool on wire wrack until warm but not hot.

Serve warm with butter or jam.

ENJOY!

1 comment:

  1. Janet, tomorrow morning, bright and early I am making this recipe, the scones look mouth watering delicious! Thank you for sharing, Julie.

    ReplyDelete